Sunday, March 6, 2016

Seed Company Reviews!

Tis the season to be procuring seeds by the packet and getting ready for Spring-time planting. Well, at least in Pittsburgh it is. In Florida, where my parents emigrated, they're already setting out their tender seedlings for their first growing season.

Before I get started on how to start seeds inside and all the fun of that, I wanted to offer some thoughts on different seed companies you can order from.

The four companies I'll be talking about are Botanical Interests, Baker Creek Seed Company, Fedco Seed Company, and Burpee.

Let me start off by saying that you really can't go wrong with any of these four seed companies. It's really a matter of what you're looking for, and what's important to you in a seed company.  The only seeds that I recommend against buying are the off-brand $0.50 a pack ones you can find at the dollar store and places like that. Sometimes you can get amazing deals, but most of the time the seeds are poor quality, don't germinate, and there's no customer service involved.




First we have Botanical Interests.

 I LOVE Botanical Interests. I really do. I was introduced to them as a fledgling gardener by a horticulturally inclined friend and I'm so glad she did. Their seed packets are all beautiful. Little perfect works of art. And they're filled with information, not just on the front and back but also if you open them up they have tons of extra info inside, info like tips for getting the best germination rate and harvest, and how to preserve your harvest. Their website is also lovely. It's pretty easy to navigate, although it can be a little difficult if you tend to tear through websites like I do. They have a lot of information on their website, and it's a great reference. Their seed catalog comes out two or three times a year (to be honest I don't do a good job of keeping track, I mostly get really excited when it shows up) and it's equally lovely.

A little bit more about BI, they've been in business since 1995, they're a family owned company and they are RAPIDLY expanding. They now have over 600+ varieties of both edible and ornamental seeds, and they have a really great heirloom and organic selection as well. All of their seed is untreated and certified GMO Free.

One down side I will say to all of their beautiful art is that there aren't many pictures of what the plants really look like. So, even though I adore seeing the artistic renderings of them, and I don't have a really solid idea of what they look like in reality.

One of the reasons I love BI so very much is their customer service. When I sent out messages to all these companies to ask if there was anything they wanted to share, they were one of the first to get back to me. They're active on social media and very easy to get ahold of if you have questions or concerns. Also they partner with non-profits and schools and donate loads of seeds to community gardens, and what's not to love about a company that gives back?

Nitty Gritty: Selection and Price. They don't have the largest selection of these seed companies, but their selection is more than sufficient for most home gardeners. They only sell their seed packs in one size, so there's really no buying in bulk (although you could always contact them and ask if you need a bulk order, their customer service is baller).  Price wise they're a little more on the expensive side. However the price difference isn't extreme. According the information on it one packet of "California Wonder" heirloom organic seeds is enough for 30 plants when started indoors and costs $1.99

Bottom line: Botanical Interests is the first seed company I reccomend to new gardeners. They're becoming easier and easier to find in person (Rolliers in Mt. Lebanon carries them, as well as Giant Eagle Market Districts for Pittsburgh locals).



Up Next: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (Rareseeds.com)

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is a weird-plant lover's dream. They've only been in business since 1998, but in that time they've built an Amazing network of growers and seed adventurers the world over. They offer almost exclusively Heirloom seeds (yay) and have tons of organic options if that's your thing. All of their seeds are 100% gmo free. What's amazing is that they offer over 1,800 varieties of seeds from all over the globe, so if you want to grow something that none of your neighbors or friends have ever seen, this is the company for you.

Their customer service is also quite good. They got back to me very quickly when I contacted them. They offer two seed catalogs, one is the regular catalog that gets mailed to you if you request it on the website or buy seeds from them previously. It's a lovely seed catalog with lots of great images and more planting options than I know what to do with. And then there's the Whole Seed Catalog. The whole seed catalog will cost you about $8 + shipping but it's filled with almost every variety they carry, tons of articles, recipes, tips and wonderfulness. It's like a magazine, but all seeds all the time. Also, many seed companies send a bonus seed pack when you order, for BI it's a mixed lettuce, Baker Creek has sent me a variety, last year I got a lovely tomato called Gypsy that I adored and this year I got some sort of melon that I can't wait to try out. I don't know if they have one variety they send out all year or a bunch to pick from and they just randomly choose one, but I like it.

One of the main down sides to Baker Creek, and this is only after being so spoiled with Botanical Interests, is their seed packets are really hit or miss. Some of them have lovely photographs and art, some have nothing. Some have weird little drawings that look like something I did in middle school (I know, I'm throwing shade at a seed company). But, to be honest, with as many varieties as they have I suppose that a few are bound to slip through the cracks.

Nitty Gritty: They have the most impressive variety of any seed company I've seen. They're also on the more expensive side. Their California Wonder bell pepper seeds come in a packet of 25 seeds  for $2.50. Though they also offer a 1/4 ounce of seed for $7 (which is currently sold out).

Bottom Line: If you want something weird, or historic, or rare or unusual or you just want to try something new, I recommend them. Their seed always performs extremely well for me and I usually pick one or two new things from them every year to try out (because trying new things is the best part of gardening... well, other than the eating)



Third: Fedco Seeds

The thing to keep in mind about Fedco seeds is that they're not a company the way the other seed companies are, they're a co-op and they've been in business since 1978. They're based in Clinton Maine, and specialize in seeds for the North East climate. In addition to seeds they also offer bulbs, trees, tubers, and gardening supplies.

Their website can be a little hard to navigate if you're uncomfortable with online shopping or with using the internet. Their selections are only searchable by name, and basic varieties (beets vs. peppers). Their flower section is organized alphabetically, and you have to go into each description to learn about what the flower is. There aren't a lot of pictures on the website, some varieties don't have pictures at all. Their packaging is very no-frills. No art, no pictures, just the info you need.

Nitty Gritty: Their selection is solid, although not huge it's plenty of varieties, all proven to be good growers and producers for this climate. Their prices are pretty awesome too, for most varieties you can choose what quantity of seeds you want. For their King of the North Sweet Pepper (the closest to the California Wonder I could find) you can choose from between 1/4 g to 4g with a price ranging from $1.40 - $10.00 depending on quantity. (They say that there are aprox. 160 seeds per gram)

Bottom Line: This is my first year using Fedco seeds, so I can't tell you much about them from personal experience. What I can tell you is that their prices are excellent, their customer service is good, and that their seeds shipped quickly and even though I ordered from everyone on the first day, they were the first to arrive. However I do know quite a bit about them based on reputation and I can tell you that I've heard almost exclusively positive feed back. This is a seed company for garden nerds. If you know what you want and how to grow it and you want to support a cooperative of growers that offer only the best varieties for the North East, then this is your company.



And then there's Burpee

Here's the thing, you can't go wrong with any of these companies, and that includes Burpee. The company has been around since 1876 and they've been publishing their catalog since 1881. They have a really solid catalog and they're a HUGE company. Go into any big retalier with a garden center (Walmart, Target, Lowes, Homedepot...etc...) and you'll find Burpee seeds. Go into almost any hardware store and you're likely to find them. They're massive, they're inescapable. And you know what? They're good. I haven't had the same level of success from them that I have with BI and Baker Creek, but they're solid. They're also 100% non GMO and have a good selection of organic products. Bonus points: They're "Certified Land-fill Free" which they don't actually say what that

They're also fairly inexpensive. I'd be lying if I said I didnt end up with a packet or two of burpee seeds almost every time I go up to home depot (But I do really NEED to plant some daisies this year and it has nothing to do with the eye catching seed packet or low price tag).

Nitty Gritty: Their variety is pretty good, a wide range of plants that are market tested to be popular with consumers all over the country. Nothing too unusual, but enough variety to keep things interesting. The prices in store are a little different, their in store seed packets are smaller quantity, but you can buy a packet of 300 California Wonder Pepper seeds online for $7.00 which is a pretty good deal. 

Bottom Line: Burpee is a huge company. Their customer service isn't great. They never got back to me in my request for information for you all. There's nothing wrong with them, but there's nothing all that right with them either. I certainly buy their seeds and I pour over their catalog when it comes in the mail, but when it comes down to my yearly serious seed buying, I'd rather support a smaller independent company than Burpee.

So that's it, my seed company review. You can't go wrong with any of these companies, and I hope you'll give some of them a try this year! What's your favorite company?

Up next: The Pittsburgh Home and Garden Show 2016, and/or my amazing Succulent Chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment